Daulatabad (City of Prosperity), is a 14th century fort city about 16 kms northwest of Aurangabad.
In 1327, Muhammad bin Tughluq moved his capital from Delhi to Daulatabad. However after 2 years, due to severe water shortages, he had to abandon Daulatabad and move his capital back to Delhi.
Chand Minar, 210 ft high and 70 ft in circumference at the base, was erected in 1445 by Ala-ud-din Bahmani to commemorate his capture of the fort. It was originally covered with beautiful Persian glazed tiles.
The Chini Mahal was once a building of great beauty, where Aurangzeb had imprisoned Abul Hasan Tana Shah, the last of the Qutb Shahi kings of Golconda, in 1687.
Inside the Fort
Ram-headed Kila Shikan (“Fort Breaker”) Canon