Palampur is surrounded by lush green tea gardens and is often described as the ‘Tea capital of Northern India’.
Wah Tea Estate (owned by the royal family of West Bengal)
Tea was introduced to Kangra in 1849 by Dr. William Jameson, a botanist from Peshawar, who found the soil and weather conditions in the valley to be apt for tea cultivation.
After a brief tour of Wah Tea Estate (no photography was allowed within the factory), we stopped by one of local small scale tea factories.
This contraption is used for drying the tea leaves
Rolling the leaves
Tea leaves ready to be sold at the local cooperative