Hampi Vittala Temple Complex
This complex, situated on the northeastern part of Hampi, is one of the predominant monuments within the Sacred Centre.
Vittala Temple Complex
The temple hosts the annual Purandaradasa festival.
View of the complex from the main gopuram
One of the key attractions within this complex is the Stone Chariot or Ratha Temple. This monolithic Garuda temple resembles the temple chariots (rathas) in which temple idols were traditionally taken out during festive occasions.
Chariot Shrine (Garuda)
There are free standing mandapas on either side of the Garuda shrine. The one on the southern side is the finest of the two, with intricately carved pillars on all sides.
Freestanding Mandapa (Southern)
It has a raised dais surrounded by Yali pillars.
Pavilion inside the Mandapa
The 100-columned Hall next to the Southern Gopuram has a trilingual (Kanada, Tamil, Telugu) Krishnadevaraya inscription that has been dated 1516.
Facade, 100-columned Hall
View from the 100-columned Hall
Inside the 100-columned Hall
The Main Shrine was originally built with just one enclosed Mandapa. An open Mandapa Extension was added in 1554.
Mandapa Extension entrance, Main Shrine